Everyone has the right to live in safety, free from abuse. The person causing the harm may be a stranger but, more often than not, you’ll know and feel safe with them.

Read here about what to do if you are being abused or bullied

There are many forms of abuse and neglect.

Sexual abuse includes

  • indecent exposure
  • sexual harassment
  • inappropriate looking or touching
  • sexual teasing or innuendo
  • sexual photography
  • being forced to watch pornography or sexual acts
  • being forced or pressured to take part in sexual acts
  • rape

Physical abuse includes

  • being hit, slapped, pushed or restrained
  • being denied food or water
  • misuse of your medicines

Psychological abuse includes

  • emotional abuse
  • threats to hurt or abandon you
  • stopping you from seeing people
  • humiliating, blaming, controlling, intimidating or harassing you
  • verbal abuse
  • cyberbullying and isolation

Domestic abuse is typically an incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse by someone who is, or has been, an intimate partner or family member.

Discriminatory abuse includes some forms of harassment, slurs or unfair treatment relating to your:

  • race
  • gender and gender identity
  • age
  • disability
  • sexual orientation
  • religion

Financial abuse could be someone stealing money or other valuables from you. Or it might be that someone appointed to look after your money on your behalf is using it inappropriately or persuading you to spend it in a way you’re not happy with.

What to do if you are being abused or bullied

Don’t worry about making a fuss – tell someone you trust as soon as possible.

If you feel you have been abused or bullied in any way, please report this to a member of staff, ideally your Housing Coach or our Designated Safeguarding Officer. If the allegation is against a member of staff, you can speak directly to the Housing and Support Manager or the CEO. There are signs up around the building with their phone numbers on, or just call 01270 257673 and ask for the number to report a safeguarding issue.

If you prefer, you can talk to your GP or social worker or contact the Cheshire East Safeguarding Team on 0300 123 5010 (0300 123 5022 evenings and weekends). If you believe a crime has been committed, talk to the police or ask someone you trust to do so on your behalf.